View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Well, I took me2's post to mean that "elite" means something along the lines of a Brendan Gaunce or a Brandon Saad kind of prospect.. ie. clearly a top prospect (if not the top prospect) in their organization, although certainly not one of the top five to ten overall.

(If me2's post was suggesting that we just need 2-3 Yakupov/Huberdeau/Hamilton calibre prospects that would be simply ridiculous.)

Like I said you could scoop up one of those players fairly easily in the first round of any draft (the 2010 draft where we traded our 1st we could have selected Evgeny Kuznetsov - HF's 6th highest ranked prospect - or Howden, Charlie Coyle, Jon Merrill..). You can even occasionally find those players in the second round (although right now it doesn't look like there was one available at the spot in the 2nd round where we would have picked in 2010, but Oscar Lindberg went a couple spots later and is putting up point a game numbers in the SEL).

Another five 61st-120th overall picks should easily net two or three Frank Corrado, Kevin Connauton, Patrick McNally calibre prospects as well, which would help significantly with our depth.
I wouldn't call Gaunce an "elite" prespect yet, we just drafted him.

It's a lot easier to pick players two and a half years after the draft.

How many prospects like McNally and Corrado do we need? I'm not sure exactly what he meant by "elite prospects" but to me it means prospects that have developed to where they are knocking on the door of the NHL.

I'm not overly impressed with Gillis draft history yet but I think in general peoples expectations aren't in line with the reality of picking 18-19 year olds. Gillis is also clearly evolving his draft strategy imo, so at least he's taking steps to help improve it.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote