Thread: Sergei Fedorov
View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 12:54 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Im assuming your looking at his stats go from 120 and then drop... I dont think you can look at the drop in his stats and infer he never played at that same level.

There were several situations (especially after his first Stanley Cup) where he played defense many for many games and many minutes. Many of Detroit Red Wings players were asked to sacrifice offensive focus and be more defensive minded.

Steve Yzerman is a prime example of this... he proved he was an elite offensive player but his stats took a hit too when he took on more of a complete role asked by his coaches for the better of the team. Fact (stated by Bowman and others)

Sergei def was one of these players who played more of a complete role and though his stats might show differ... I think he became a better player over the years. He won 3 Championships and when his team needed him he won games.
No, I actually watched Fedorov regularly at the time. He didn't sacrifice his defence in 1994, he was just that good. Fedorov always played a complete, defensively responsible game for Detroit and never had to change his style of play. He never really approached that level again, in the regular season anyway.