View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 02:43 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
In premise, yeah. Holding onto assets until they are at their peak value (deadline) is ideal. There are problems with that view in an absolute sense though.

First, the market for him is small. While waiting does in fact increase value, you seem to be ignoring that competition and market demand also determines value. You can't trade him in a vacuum.

If two of the teams interested in Luongo find something else prior to the season starting, what will that do to his value at the deadline? With his contract, Luongo is not a rental. There is a certain mold of team interested in him.

Appealing to their needs is what is in out best interest. The consumer determines market value, never forget that. The seller simply adjusts his value to reflect what the consumer is saying.
Who though?

Bernier? Scott Clemmensen? Jose Theodore? The fact of the matter is that there are not many starting goalies on the market. They're either

1) 1b/#2 calibre (Clemmensen/Theo)
or
2) Completely unproven at the NHL level.

As the season unfolds it very well could be true that Luongo's value doesn't increase drastically, but the risk of not moving Luongo is...? You roll 2 starting calibre goalies.

I'd feel more confident in the current roster w/ Luongo splitting starts with Schneider, then a Schneider/Lack combo and Tyler ****ing Bozak on the 3rd line to make up for it.

The Canucks need a Top 6 winger. If Luongo isn't bringing one back or other substantial pieces prior to season start... you don't move him until the opportunity arises. That's my mindset and it seems to be Gillis' too as I'm sure he had chances in August/Sept to move him for piss-poor offers from TO.

TLinden16 is online now   Reply With Quote