View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Thats the implication made when justifying the deal, no?

Its the defnition of irony because Murray thought he traded and average prospect and a bad contract.

In all fairness though, I wish the NCAA changed their rules... Its hard for a team to evaluate their drafted NCAA players without them at training camp... If Gardiner attended Ducks training camp in each of the previous years, rather then just rookie camp, I doubt they make that trade.

They should allow a small window for drafted players to attend a week of NHL camp. This would benefit not only the teams, but the players as well..
No, the justification for the deal was bringing in Beauchemin. Even if we hadn't made that trade, we would have still needed a defenseman to fill the role that Beauchemin has for us. There was no one in the system at that point that was even close to doing that. The only guy in that mould was Clark, and he only played his first few games last season.

Gardiner wasn't considered an average prospect. He just wasn't the top prospect at that position in our system. He still wouldn't have been our best young defenseman had we kept both or just traded Schultz. We just drafted extremely well at that position, starting with the draft that those two were taken in.

NCAA players can attend prospect camps so long as they do so on their own dime. Schultz, and I believe Gardiner as well, had done that at certain points. If memory serves, neither was there the year that Gardiner was traded. but Schultz attended the very next camp we had.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote