View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 06:27 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
I doubt that Gunnarsson is the answer for DRW defense troubles. We dont need another average defensemen, we might as well just groom Smith instead. We need someone who can fill the gap Lidström left.

At least sort of fill the gap.

Trading away Franzen would instead create a bit of a gap in DRWs offense. I wouldnt throw away Franzen for peanuts, I would like some real difference maker for DRW and that is another top pairing defensmen. DRW has one as it now (at best...) and that should be Kronwall I guess but he isnt really a guy you can build great defense around, he just not THAT good. Would we at get atleast someone around Kronwalls level (but different perhaps more defensive minded) that might do.

I rather get one difference making D-man for Franzen + average players, than a ******** of average or not needed players for just Franzen.
The way I'm seeing it, is that in the big 3 way deal, we are getting a slight but noticeable improvement in net, a slight downgrade in top end forward talent, but more depth, plus adding another NHL defenseman + a good a prospect in Blacker. We could put together any of our D in a package For example, Quincey + White + pick (+ prospect?) for a good, established defenseman. It'd probably have to be a guy with a big contract or something, because we aren't just going to get an awesome defenseman for no reason. But if we pull that off, we could roll with:

Kronwall - Gunnarsson
New addition - Smith
Ericsson - Colaiacovo/ Kindl

Solid depth and versatility, good mix of young and old.

Then we could have our forward lines be something like:

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner/Nyquist(?)
Kulemin - Datsyuk - Samuelsson
Raymond - Helm - Cleary
Bertuzzi - Emmerton - Tootoo

Then we have Eaves, Miller, and Mursak as extras. There is definitely another deal that could be made somewhere with all of these forwards. Like a team wanting to shed a big contract for a couple of smaller ones.

Then we have Luongo and Gustavsson for a solid tandem, and ideally Mrazek is ready in ~4 years or so when Lu is nearing the end.

Just spitballing.