View Single Post
Old
11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
So again, not a flaw with the system itself.
If there wasn't a flaw in the system I wouldn't take issue with it being used exclusively now would i?

Quote:
Not as ridiculous as you seem to think. Bourque in the 12 seasons from 80-91 finished 1st among defencemen in scoring once, 2nd three times and 3rd twice. Lidstrom in the 10 seasons from 02-12 finished 1st among defencemen in scoring three times, 2nd once and 3rd twice. So it's not like Bourque was always at the top of the list and Lidstrom never was.
Smoke and mirrors!
How about adding some context to those rankings so we get a better picture. Namely who Bourque was finishing 2nd and 3rd to, who he beat and then do the same for Lidstrom.

It's the equivalent of saying Iginla was equal or better than Yzerman offensively because Iggy has an Art Ross while Stevie never did better than 3rd in league scoring.

I weighed the context of Bourque's and Lidstrom's finishes before using them. You obviously did not.

Quote:
Leading your team in scoring is nice, but obviously the impressiveness of the accomplishment depends on your teammates.
Right, so when Bourque finished 9th in league scoring and 1rst in D-man scoring in 86/87, he only led his team in scoring because he didn't have any teammates that could keep up to him despite the fact that only 8 players in the entire friggen league out scored him.
So tell me, is it more impressive or less impressive that Bourque finished 9th in league scoring without a lot of help from his teammates?

Or how about in 90/91 when he only finished 2nd in D-man scoring and out of the top 10 in league scoring (Bourque was 11th) because of MacInnis' career year?

Quote:
When Bourque was among the scoring leaders, he was not the only blueliner there.
Bourque was the only blueliner in the top 10 in 86/87.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 11-01-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote