View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
That is why I just can't see why it is even a possibility to trade him for a scoring winger, the Penguins don't need scoring wingers. If you want to trade Orpik, why wouldn't you consider dealing him along with something else to get a better D if you just want to move him?

Just because he was playing on the top pairing at times for the Penguins doesn't mean that is the ideal situation for him. It really looked to me like he was trying to do too much. He needs to keep his gam as simple as possible and when your partner is always on the attack it makes it more difficult to maintain that simplicity.

I watch a lot of Penguins games as well, I live in Pittsburgh, my wife's boss gives us his tickets when he can't make it to a game which is about 8-10 times a year.

I am not a Penguins fan but I am a hockey fan and I really think that either you are expecting too much from Orpik or you are used to seeing him playing a simple game where his partner also plays D.

The Penguins won the Stanley Cup with more players like Orpik, not less. Now they have Orpik as the only guy who plays that kind of game, maybe Engelland does somewhat, but he doesn't play every game.

The thing I will give you is that Orpik sure as heck doesn't fit in the kind of style that the Penguins played last year in the playoffs, but there aren't many D who do fit in with a style like that and manage to look good. If they had Bobby Orr, Brad Park, Larry Robinson, Dennis Potvin, Ray Bourque, and Paul Coffey on D then their style would work great.
Because I can't see anyone else wanting to send that back.

We just disagree on Orpik's performance last year. The truth is that Orpik and Martin weren't terribly far apart in their defensive play last season, both in the regular season and playoffs, and both played their best hockey when they were stabilized by being paired with Letang. But Martin gets crapped on and Orpik gets defended, mostly because Orpik's physicality gives observers one tangible "defensive" positive.

When the Pens won the Cup, they really didn't have anybody else playing like Orpik does now (and he has regressed). They had Scuderi and Gill, who don't go chasing hits and losing coverage, but play responsible, positional defensive games. The Pens have NHL-ready prospects in that mold knocking on the door.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote