View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I noticed that no-one gave a serious response to my point that ASs was likely, originally intended to predict what Howe would score today or in a Gretzky season.
Pardon? I quoted Total Hockey, which is the origin of the adjusted scoring system, where they stated their purpose in the development of the system. It was for comparison, not prediction.

Quote:
Ninety-two goals in a season is more than any other player has achieved. It is a benchmark.
A context-free benchmark, I suppose.

Quote:
Nobody gives a rodent's hind end if Howe's production compared to peers was the same or better.
Nobody? You need to stop using these absolute terms. I myself care how Howe's production compares to Gretzky's, and I know several others who do as well. So again you've made a demonstrably false statement.

Quote:
Gretzky actually scored 92 goals in 80 games. Nobody has gotten very close.
You don't think 85 goals in 76 games is very close to that?

Quote:
So what do adjusted stats say? IMHO they were an attempt to compare raw data over eras and seasons
I thought you said it was for making predictions? At any rate, you now have it correct.

Quote:
but it didn't work and it just wasn't accepted by those not in the loop of those arcane calculations and some who were.
All of your arguments so far as to why it doesn't work have been demonstrated to be invalid. These are not arcane calculations, they're very straightforward. And you can pretend all you like that no one accepts the results of adjusted scoring, but that's simply not true.

Quote:
You can't just remove a guy and his impact from the game by subtracting his stats from the formula.
When you're comparing him to the rest of the league, why not? You're not comparing him to himself, that would be silly. Removing a player's in excess of some replacement value would be better, of course, but this would increase the complexity of the calculation.

Quote:
What do adjusted stats do anyways if not attempt to predict? I'm still not clear on this.
You said it yourself. They are designed to compare players from disparate eras, just as Total Hockey says.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote