View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 10:05 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Anyone who thought the Kings were actual cup contenders BEFORE they knocked Vancouver out of the first round are either lying out of their ass or we're smoking some really good stuff.
It depends on how you look at it as well. Go back and read my posts from a year ago or so. Heck, go back about two years. I never said I think they'd win the cup but I did say that last year was the year they'd make a deep playoff push, and figured they'd make the third round. Publicly saying a team will make round three isn't to far off from saying they could reach the finals. I think I even said that I expected that this year (2012-2013) would be the year they became perrenial cup contenders. My logic was that they'd need a strong playoff push one year (IE reach round three) to build up the confidence to be legit cup threats down the road. My only miscalculation was that I didn't see the Kings playing like the early 1980's NY Islanders and steamrolling everyone with very little post-season expereince.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Not when you looked at the Kings history.....it was as obvious as stating the Red Wings would make the playoffs. It was about the most un-risky prediction you could possibly make.
So we can make assumptions based on a teams history? I could agree with you if you're talking say the last 3-5 years maximum, but if you're talking overall history that has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard. For example, St. Louis had a great season last year and no reason to think they couldn't do just as well next year. Is it 'un-risky' to say they won't win the cup, simply because they've generally sucked for much of the history?

No. Every team at some point sucked. Look at Detroit, took them 42 years before they won the cup again in 1997. New Jersey was labelled a Mickey Mouse organization by the Great One himself. Both of those clubs have had a great run over the past 18 years, accounting for I seven Stanley Cups and 11 Finals appearances. Coming into 1995, would you have said that would happen for the next 18 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I'm fine with the Penner trade because we won the ****ing Stanley Cup!
This. As someone who blasted the Penner trade repeatedly, I'll now give it a pass simply for his 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. They weren't GREAT, but they were worth the price we paid because he was a key cog in a cup winning team.