View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
That

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
What do we have here? Do we have Kyle Chipchura without the 1st round pick status to live up to or do we have something better or worse for that matter?
Vail doesn't possess the same level of physicality that Chipchura has, but he still finishes his checks.

Vail is a more skilled player in my eyes. He's a much much better skater than Chipchura, Vail's a very deceptively fast skater. He also has a more powerful shot than Chipchura, but that's not the main selling point of his shot. It's his accuracy. Vail's shot isn't the most powerful but it's pin point accurate and he always makes the goalie work when he fires the puck on net.

His main selling point though is his hockey sense. Vail comes away with at least 3 pass interceptions every game, he reads the play extremely well. He also is a very smart PKer and does quiet a few smarts plays when he's on the ice. Vail isn't immune to mistakes though. He has a tendency to get caught up in the play and lose his man.

Vail also is a good passer, but he's not a "traditional centre" in the fact that uses both wings to pass to. Instead he'd rather come down the wing and pass the puck into the centre. That makes me think that he'd be very comfortable at the wing as well.

I think that he may have some untapped offensive potential because of Vail hockey sense, shot, and speed. He certainly has all the skills to become more than a third line centre, so it will be interesting to see how he uses them in the future.