View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Gigantic book (biggest hockey book I own) that came out in 1998 and again in 2000.
Then I was way behind the curve when it comes to developing and calculating adjusted stats. That just shows that reasoned minds may follow similar processes and achieve similar results, because the concept is relatively simple.

Quote:
It's quite simple, really. No one is saying anyone "would" score anything. The question is how valuable a player's points were. If league scoring is at 8.00 then it takes more goals to win a game (the objective of playing hockey), therefore each goal is individually less valuable. If league scoring is at 5.00 then each individual goal is much more valuable. This is irrefutable. Simple, adjusted offensive stats do little more than approximate a player's offensive contribution towards winning.
Good explanation, perhaps your will sink in better than mine seemed to have.

Quote:
What's better? 92 goals or 49? Raw numbers say that Gretzky's season was 88% better.

hockey-reference's adjusted numbers say that it's only about 5% better.

what's the actual truth? who can ever truly know? But, I can say with great confidence, that whatever this number is, it's a lot closer to 5% than 88%.

Adjusting the figures gets you a better answer, not a worse one. Not a perfect one, but clearly better.
Another good explanation, again hope it sinks in for some.

Quote:
I sure thought it was funny how you said no one cares about how their dominance of their peers compare to eachother. That is all anyone here cares about!
That's not exactly true IMO. Since the strength of one's peers in the NHL has varied quite substantially over time, it's important to realize that how their domination of such peers compares to each other will depend on that very fact. I think what we should be focused on is the value and relative difficulty of achieving various levels of production and effectiveness.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote