View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
In about 10 years, how much do you think the NHL will ask per year for rights to their games? I believe it's currently $180MM. With how much sports teams and leagues have been getting recently, I don't think it would be much of a stretch to say they will get around $400MM per year. NBC would be saving around $200MM for that year.

NBC Sports Network is obviously doing terrible, but I think they would be willing to last a year without the NHL.
You realize this is the first contract the NHL has made money on as far as TV rights don't you? Prior to this, the NHL paid to have their product on the air (network wise, including espn back in the day). Your estimate of 400M may be close given the record revenues of the past but don't you think this lost year will damage that?

The NHL's tenuous hold of the highly debateable #4 spot isn't as solid as you would think. Soccer is getting bigger every second. I wouldn't count on record setting ratings or revenues when they finally decide to drop the puck. And as I said before... If NBC Sports goes belly up due to lack of interest in bull-riding in the meantime, the national audience will dry up and NBC the network will want no part of the Mickey Mouse league that lost two seasons in under a decade due to labor. I'm sure espn can't wait to get their hands on it for espn 8 "the ocho" though.

But whatever... They know what they're doing. Right?