View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Agree 100%. Everybody's an expert here at HF, lmao! For the record, I wasn't trying to contradict you, more lending to your point.

I personally find the one thing that will always carry over, is hockey sense. I always say to my friends that, I'll never fault a player for having the right idea. You can develop skating, shooting, and stick-handling but it's much harder to develop that puck poise and awareness. The ability to immediately make the right reads, while under pressure, is something that transcends skill. In my opinion!
I completely agree.

I believe that intangibles such as vision/awareness/hockey sense are things that a player either has or doesn't have, they cannot be significantly developed or increased. It has more to do with the human brain and the natural ability to recognize and identify patterns. There are different types of intelligence, and pattern recognition is one that some people naturally have and others do not have. This is the one attribute that sets generational talents such as Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Lidstrom apart from the others. It also allows players without elite skillsets such as Oates and Gilmour to achieve far more than players with superior physical skillsets (Kilger, Colton Gillies etc).