View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Puck Ingrate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
There's a difference from "springing a lone striker free from a high defensive line once you get possession of the ball" and "10 men behind the ball at all times".

And yes, I've played and watch soccer since I was 5 years old. Don't give me irrelevant insults because your precious exalted opinion has been challenged.
For 60 minutes, every time the Caps got the ball, they tried to hit Mattocks with the long ball. If they had tried to give Mattocks service by pushing the play forward, the outcome of the game would have been decided sooner because a) they don't have the players to create fast, dynamic counterattacks, and b) besides Koffie, they don't have the defensive midfielders that can win the ball back once the Caps' attack sputters due to a missed pass or bad touch. The team simply isn't talented enough to play a possession game for 90 minutes against a team like LA and get a victory.

I'm simply confused, because nobody else involved with the Whitecaps, from other fans, media, to the team itself, has listed lack of possession as a reason why they lost last night. If you watched the game, then that criticism just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Puck Ingrate: 11-02-2012 at 09:22 PM.