View Single Post
Old
11-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Bert Marshall days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
By your logic sponsors would rather advertise for hockey in Nashville (winning team), than Toronto. It doesn't hold any water. Advertisers care about 1 thing-how many people they're able to reach with ads. It's that simple. Brooklyn's population is about the same as Nassau+Suffolk combined (and MUCH more importantly more concentrated).

Would winning bring fans to NVMC? OF COURSE. But the problem is this: you can say that about ANY NHL, NFL, MLB, or NBA team. It's a terrible argument. Attendance during losing years is more important than winning years. That's what really shows a team how strong their base is.

The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn-I understand that many are upset about it, and have been fighting it tooth and nail (even to the point of being so naive that they honestly believe that a franchise would have a NHL team in Suffolk).

The suburbs are NOT suitable for the NHL. Times have changed. Just because the Islanders organization lives in the early 80's-the world doesn't. Long Island can't support a team-EVEN a winning team. It just can't. That's not a knock on Long Island...it's reality. Get over it. Move on. Be grateful we still have a team to cheer for. Wang bent over backwards for Nassau and how did the people respond? They voted it down.

Honestly I blame the people of Nassau the most. Not just for the one vote (that is a big thing). But even if you wanna blame the politicians-who votes them in? The people of Nassau need to look at themselves in the mirror and wake up. The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn. No you wont be able to go to as many games. Get over it-and move on. It wont be that bad...as a former season ticket holder who now only sees them twice a year (1 was already cancelled so my best case scenario is 1 time this year), I PROMISE you. It could be worse-a lot worse. You could have to become a fan of another team. I don't know about you-but I was prepared to become a full-time Lightning fan in a few years. The move to Brooklyn is EASILY the best Islanders related news I've ever heard in my life.
Ditto. Good post.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote