View Single Post
Old
11-03-2012, 12:02 AM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Good Fan/Bad Fan

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
It could be a move that bites the NHL in the long run as the Winter Classic is an important tool towards gaining new fans to the NHL.
I started watching minor league games my senior year in HS, right after the 1980 Olympics (do the math, I'm old). I went to some NDSU games when I was stationed in Grand Forks in the Air Force and even made a road trip up to Winnipeg to watch the Jets play the Bruins. We just walked up and got tickets if I remember correctly. Life happened, went overseas and lived in some non-hockey markets for a while. And had a few kids that ate up a good deal of time and money. I stopped following hockey pretty much.

I remember watching the first Winter Classic in 2007 and thinking it was so cool to watch hockey on New Year's morning. It made it feel wintery in AZ.

Later that year the wife and I went to our first Coyotes game. The kids were at a point where we could leave them alone and not have to pay for a sitter. We started getting the 4-game Howliday Packs the next year as anniversary presents to each other. Been to quite a few games and am proud to be a Coyotes fan, but I'm pretty sure the Winter Classic brought me back to hockey.

GiveAFlyingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote