View Single Post
Old
11-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Since it's a rebuild and as Davidson said it's going to take some time before Columbus can realistically be a solid team, should we not expect Davidson(Howson) to go after any significant UFA's for the next couple of years? The Oilers plan a couple of years ago was to develop their young guns and try to to improve, one season at a time. Only UFA players they were after were to fill in some small gaps(Hordichuk, Eager, Belanger). Plus they said they didn't expect big names to sign with a team that's at the bottom of the standings. Once the team shows that they're close to competing for the Cup, that is when they plan on going for a homerun and going after a big UFA. Is that what Columbus is going to do? Wait a couple of years to let the rebuild finish then when(hopefully) they're a playoff team, go for a homerun?
Judging from the way the Blues were assembled, don't expect any "big UFA signings" at all. I like how JD said it: one brick at a time. Expect the team to draft and develop it's own talent, and fill in the other pieces via trade. The Blues brought in major players like Andy McDonald, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, and Jaroslav Halak via trades, not UFA signings. We have some solid pieces in our pipeline, and my argument is that with a couple of talented young forwards, this team will be on the fast track to success in no time. I've never been a fan of building teams through free agency, and I think now, more than ever, drafting and developing is the key to victory.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote