View Single Post
Old
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
It may have been a PR move by the league letting someone like Dreger report that information, however I don't like it for this reason. The NHL goes ahead and cancels the Winter Classic which I was very much looking forward to seeing. Plus it's the first time they finally let a Canadian team like Toronto play in one. So knowing all this why didn't the NHL let the NHLPA know about their concession last week or earlier because they could have talked and maybe saved the Winter Classic. Basically if they reach a new CBA next week or in two weeks, then I say why even cancel the Winter Classic?
1) Dreger confirmed that the NHL spoke to the PA about this three days ago.

2) They're is a deadline for everything. The NHL had a deposit in place. They had to let the venue know by a certain date whether or not they plan on going through with the Winter Classic, otherwise they lose significantly more of that deposit. That date was yesterday. Fans have already booked hotels, flights, etc. Canceling the event two months in advance lets these people also get a majority of their money back.