View Single Post
Old
11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Hagged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
His offensive abilities are top notch. He skates well.
I don't disagree at all with this, but defender has to defend and Vatanen hasn't delivered in defensive end.

Quote:
Makes good decisions more often than not.
He makes positional errors more often than not. Also he has problems in decision making, when it's wise to try to keep the puck in offensive zone and when to back down to neutral to get ready to defend.

Quote:
Sure, he's not great defensively, but who among us was expecting that? .
I expect Vatanen to be at least as good defensively as he was for the last two years. Positional defending and good poke checks and solid PK. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

He was considered as a lock for World Championships for two years in a row. With this kind of play there is no chance for him to play himself in the Finnish national team.

I thought Vatanen would play himself in the Ducks line-up right from the camp. Now it doesn't seem worth the risk. Maybe I had too big hopes for him. I considered him as high of a prospect as his countryman Granlund.

Vatanen truly was great in the defensive zone in Finland. Maybe the smaller ice and higher pace is a bit too much for him to handle. Or maybe he's still learning the North American game. But watching him and Lindholm I must say that Lindholm's transition to NA game has gone better for now.

There is still a lot to play in the season. We'll see if Vatanen starts to play better when he gets accustomed to the game. Also learning the language might help him feel more comfortable on the ice also.