View Single Post
Old
11-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think it's a mix of a lot of things. With not a whole lot of locals, you need to keep the ones that works. He looks great with Cole and MaxPac making it a very good either 1st or 2nd line as you wish. So he stays and plays centerman. Unless you're able to then bring 5 or 6 more locals and good contributors, DD does stay. So it makes Pleks movable the day GAlly is able to be a #1. You are, as far as I'm concerned, able to get obviously much more for Pleks than with DD. So you have Gally, DD and the return of Pleks in your lineup. Obviously, Gally won't be able to do everything Pleks does right away so while you lose in experience, you gain in pure talent. And the experience, you might get it in the Pleks return. Or you hope Eller turns into a less-offensive Pleks but just as defensive awared.

If you ask me if I'd like my centermen to all be fast and be 6'3'', I would tell you yes. So in the end, my wishlist is based on taste but also reality. So in the end, for the short term, it does stay Pleks/DD/Eller/Whoever. It then becomes Gally/DD/Eller/Vail (with the idea that he comes what we had in mind for Chipchura or a Kris Draper).

I do not see Leblanc or White as centermen in the NHL. Never. Not even sure about Bournival, though it's possible.
The problem with a Gally/DD combo, is it means Galchenyuk will be taking tough matchups right off the bat - ideally Eller would take some of the load, but Galchenyuk would be playing against relatively high end competition. DD isn't hopeless defensively by any means but he's not going to produce against big, fast players unless he's constantly surrounded by big, fast wingers like he was with Patches and Cole last year - and last year we saw what happens when one line cannibalizes the offense. It's only ideal if you have 100 point guys on that line like the Sedins, at least in my opinion.

Hopefully Galchenyuk in his prime will be a legitimate 2-way beast, but it's rare for that to happen right away like Toews. Giroux at first played on the wing on a team that had matchup beast Mike Richards.

And this is another reason you should be cautious about trading anyone right now. I don't think DD was a fluke, I really don't, but it's not crazy to think he might regress from last season. Plekanec might be the devil we know and that's boring, but DD and Eller still have a lot of what-ifs. They both could end up getting much better, or not...

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote