View Single Post
Old
11-03-2012, 06:59 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I wouldn't. At least not yet. (of course it would depend on the return though).

The reason being, I don't see Burmistrov being a 3rd line centre for many years. Maybe this year (if there is a this year), and maybe next year. But IMO, Burmistrov needs to be in the top 6. Either as a 2nd line centre, or as a winger. I also don't see Maxwell as a substitute for Cormier. I think Maxwell might be decent injury replacement for 1 or 2 games, but don't see him as a regular. He, along with O'Dell also don't bring the same things to the bottom 6 as Cormier, namely size, physicality, and an edge (and great faceoff ability). (Although I admitingly have not seen much of O'Dell. Question, if O'Dell progresses, could he play the wing?)

If Cormier has a good season this year with the Ice Caps, I could see Slater and Cormier in the bottom 6 with Burmistrov somewhere on the 2nd line. Baring any free agent signings or trades, if Cormier plateau's or stagnates, I think his competition will come from someone like Olsen or Sutter (eventually).
I agree with your assessment of Burmistrov, would not mind seeing him and Kane between a vet like Jokinen, preserving the Ladd-Little-Wheeler line. Not sure you'll see Slater and Cormier as 3-4, that's pretty light on offense, and I think Scheifle or O'Dell could provide better options in the 3 spot, but that's just me, I prefer 3 scoring lines. Cormier to me is a bottom line player, but given how useful Slater is, I'm not sure where Cormier fits in. The sandpaper and faceoff ability he has makes him intriguing, maybe he plays with Slater and Thor. But for that to happen I think he would have to prove he is a better option on the PK than Mittens. Wouldn't mind seeing him kill penalties with Kane, as they made a decent duo for the Canadian juniors.

As for Maxwell, I think he is underrated. I watched him evolve in Montreal. He was slated as a Carbo type centre, got a lot of minor league playing time with Pacioretty, successfully, but then Montreal buried him behind Lapierre, Chipchura, and Gainey's yearly veteran acquisitions. Thought after bouncing around last year, he finally showed his worth at the end of the season. Was the best centre for the Jets at the end of the season given his limited role. Would not mind seeing him and Mach pushing Antropov-Poni for playing time. I think Maxwell is a better skater than Cormier and a much better passer and shot. I think he has more potential as a 25-30 point pivot, whether in Winnipeg or elsewhere.