: Value of:
Getzlaf and/or Perry as rentals.
View Single Post
11-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by
The ultimate scenario for the Ducks would be the following:
- Lockout ends and we have something of a season
- They seem to be on track to miss playoffs again by trade deadline
- BM, Getz & Perry all make a "silent agreement" to trade them and acquire quality assets, they go elsewhere (to contenders most likely, so they get to enjoy playoff run and maybe a Cup) - then re-sign long-term in Anaheim in the summer.
- Anaheim gains assets to be stronger next season and beyond.
- They probably finish the season very low to get a lottery pick
- Getz and Perry get a playoff run and potential Cup
Obviously, in reality, it won't happen as:
- The PR backlash would be huge, fans won't know about the "secret handshake"
- The risk is too big they won't come back. Even if they give their word at the time, they may like their new team, or change their minds while away from "home" and seek UFA money.
It's not unimaginable...I think it's happened with Weight and Tkachuk before, just not players of Perry/Getz's caliber and not two of them at once.
There's no point to any of the bolded. Ideal situation for Anaheim is:
1) Lockout ends;
2) Getzlaf and Perry sign matching long-term deals.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by SupermanPahlsson