View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
The percentages posted are for the average percentage of team even strength goals for which the Nth highest even strength scoring forward on the team received a point.

So in 1968, the average team had the top EV scorer post a point on 28.8% of even strength goals. This number rose by 1973, dropped and reached a low point in the 1980s, and then rose to a high point in the late 90s and 00s.
It would seem using the Nth highest scoring (ES) player on each team makes the metric influenced by league parity. In particular for top (line) players, the more balanced the league is in terms of top talent distribution, the higher the top tiers would be expected to score compared to bottom tiers. For instance, I would expect top players to be lower scoring compared to bottom tiers of players during the early-mid 70s, because I would expect their bottom lines were proportionately closer to those of the powerhouses than the top lines were.

I know it's difficult to filter out the influences of other factors, but do you think this factor could have a significant affect on the results by tier?

Last edited by Czech Your Math: 11-04-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote