View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
That's one thing I never understood. You should be honoured that they force you to play for a certain team? A team that you're not interested in and don't want to have anything to do with? Honoured that they take away your choice? For a European like me it's amazing to see that in free-market North America a rigid illiberal system, dwelling in a grey era of the law, is not only openly in place, but also glorified as a moral issue and almost adored like a religious fetish. I believe Lindros had his flaws, but not mistaking the Draft System for a sacred institution is not one of them.
But you have earned nothing in the NHL at that point. Nothing. You could be a bust. You could have a career ending injury. Playing in the NHL is not a right but a privilege and an honour. Why is that? Because you are being paid millions of dollars to play there which means your grandchildren are set for life. There is a bad team somewhere that earned the right to pick you and build their team around you. Thinking you are better and more entitled than the players who came before you - the all-time greats who had to do the same thing - is wrong right from the word "go". Lindros didn't know any better at 18 years old, but his parents should have.

In the end we have a player who put himself above the game before stepping on NHL ice and he isn't even a consensus HHOFer.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote