View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 11:09 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I actually view Rundblad as a positive work in process.

He's a thoroughbred playing on a team that is largely devoid of skill. Name a forward on the Pirates that has upside beyond that of a 3rd liner at this point? We are a team of role players up front. What does that mean? How many breakaway passes go unfinished? How many tape to tape passes are juggled on the receiving end? How many rebounds are not put into a gaping cage? Hell, how many players outside of Andy Miele can actually carry the puck and make a play to gain the offensive zone? Our offensive schema is very predictable. How many goals against (the -18 last year) came because Rundblad was on the ice with an open net because the team needed him on the ice if they wanted a shot at even tieing the game.
I agree to a certain extent. He obviously has a ton of talent. What he did in the SEL is basically unheard of for a defenseman his age. Don Maloney has said that is the 2nd best league in the world and Rundblad was the best player in it a couple of years ago. Having said that, he does make me incredibly nervous from a pure asset management standpoint. He and Vermette are all we have to show for a 3rd overall pick. Tikhonov is what we have from a fifth overall pick. And the end of Roszival's NHL career will prove to be the end of the return we had on that eighth overall pick. It's horrifying, and enough to doom most organizations to a decade of futility. Rundblad is so goddamned risky. It makes me nervous as Hell. I can EASILY see him going to way of Bobby Sanguinetti. Only, he's much more likely to simply take off for sweden and never come back. I'd feel much more comfortable with a safer, more limited prospect, to be honest. If he spends an entire season racking up minuses while playing fifteen minutes a night, his trade value will be a third round pick. If he isn't showing huge signs of improvement by game 25, I'd honestly push the panic button, if his league wide trade value is still half decent.