View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 01:36 PM
MNNumbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It isn't that simple as "the owners don't wnt to pay true value".

You say the owners do not want to pay the true value of the players' worth. The fact of the matter is the market determines the value of something and the NHL market is compromised of owners, players and consumers (fans) and you need the owners on board to determine what the market will bare. If something costs too much make then no one is going to do invest it because it becomes a money hole: you lose money and that's it. The owners are saying the value of the contracts has been distorted and we need to do something about it and with this make whole we can do something about it and still give you almost 90% (someone made the calculations) of the current contracts and keep the total amount of money you guys make the same as last year going foward.
Sorry, Canadian Guy. You and I have a miscommunication here. I understand everything you wrote. But, in my post earlier, I was quoting another poster who said that the HRR% was not the sticking point. That poster said the real argument between the players and owners was the contract length and player movement rights. I was trying to understand why that would be. And, I still am.

I understand the HRR% and the Make Whole stuff. Not sure who is right, because I can't see the books. I am really trying to understand the financial advantages to owners between these 2 situations:

1) HRR% = 50%. Make whole - owners cover 90%. UFA rights begin at age 29. Contracts are limited to 5 years....

or

2) HRR% = 50%. Make whole - owners cover 90%. UFA rights begin at age 27. Contracts limited to 8 years (or 10 yrs).

Compare those 2. I can see individual players wanting #2. If I think I am better than I really am, I want a chance at that windfall. That's the players' side.

But, again, where is the edge for the owners? The only one I can see is for middle and low revenue teams being able to hold onto good and star players.

Is there any other?