View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 01:53 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconone View Post
The original proposals of the NHL owners while egregous on their face were designed to focus the PA on % of HRR or total $$ while the real issues they wanted was to able to control player movement and value over the life of a players career. I'm wondering why so many here are having difficulty grasping that concept.

Oh well lets hope that the meetings yesterday did focus on the issues of player rights and movement and that there was some constructive movement. If not, well the season is probably lost.
I don't think this is a worthwhile conclusion. Except for the severe limiting of the total contract length, the FA provisions in the last NHL offer are only +/- 1 year of being acceptable (i.e. the same as the last CBA). I'm not sure how you can assert that the NHL is trying to severely curtail FA movement when the UFA age is proposed at 28/8, from 27/7 previously.

Also, the NHLPA hasn't offered a plan to date that addresses FA issues. The total money paid out might be higher priority to them, but FA issues have always been 'oh and we don't like those' - to be honest there's nothing in their proposals that indicates that they care about increased contractual rights (although you're right that they should).

I think history has proven that stars will get overpaid somehow. I expect that to continue no matter what the CBA signed is.