View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I'm curious, based on Bonino actually performing in the NHL last year and Koivu not actually being dead, why everyone thinks Holland will immediately be given the 2C instead of having to prove himself on a lower line.
From me at least it's more hope that he's ready the fact he's been dominating the AHL so far doesn't hurt. I don't think Koivu is a 2C anymore and Bonino made great strides last season but I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough to be a 2C. The quote from Boudreau explicitly stating Koivu would be playing in a checking role as the 3rd line C means it's either Holland or Bonino and based on what I've seen from both, Holland is much more likely to be able to play in a top 6 role than Bonino.

I think he's easily good enough to be effective with two vets in Ryan and Selanne nurturing him. He'll learn a hell of a lot from them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Bonino have better vision and defensive smarts, There you go.

Skating alone wont give Holland a job over Bonino.
I agree with Bonino having better vision, it's easily Bonino's biggest strength. Defensive smarts, I don't think you can compare the two yet but Holland has been logging big minutes on the PK and has been very reliable in his own end. Outside of vision and passing ability, Holland has Bonino beat in every offensive aspect of the game. His size, skating and shooting ability are all significantly better than Boninos. I know a lot have Holland pegged more as a goal scoring centre but from what I saw of him in juniors (and from what his numbers suggest) he is a very underrated playmaker.

Last edited by Paul4587: 11-04-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote