Thread: Value of: top 3 Defender to Colorado.
View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 04:00 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's still not the same thing. Look at the 2009 San Jose vs. Anaheim series. San Jose took plenty of shots. They had far less actual scoring opportunities. Anaheim was more than willing to let San Jose take shots from bad angles, and from the blue line, because they just weren't particularly dangerous.
Were you keeping track of scoring chances? Because I seem to remember a fair amount of scoring chances. I remember Hiller playing like a man possessed, stopping shots that were seemingly already in the net. I remember Nabokov letting in some really weak goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You said blocking a lot of shots implies poor defense, and that's not true. Volchenkov was the top shot blocker in the 2007 playoffs, and he was quite good at it. The key was that he blocked the important shots. When he tried to block all the shots, he got himself into trouble. McDonagh and Girardi were two of the top shot blockers last season. Does that mean they weren't good defensively, or that New York wasn't good defensively? I'd argue that some of their ability defensively stemmed from blocking shots.
Obviously there are exceptions, but to be honest, I don't think the Rangers were that good a team (and I'll leave it at that because Rangers fans love to jump down my throat). But Girardi and McDonagh are exceptions.

Let's take a look at the top10 shotblocking defensemen from last season:

1. Gorges. Poor defensive team.
2. Clark. Horrible defensive team/poor defensive player
3. Beauchemin. Horrible defensive team.
4. Allen. Poor defensive team.
5. Girardi. Exception.
6. MacDonald. Horrible defensive team.
7. Smid. Horrible defensive team.
8. McDonagh. Exception.
9. M. Stuart. Horrible defensive team.
10. Kronwall. Below average defensive team/average defensively.

There's a trend.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote