View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
That's my issue. As soon as you say people need to "respect" the Draft or should be "honoured" to be drafted, your pretending the Draft is a sacred institution. In reality it's a business tool.
If not the draft, what other fair system would you use to disperse young players to NHL teams? Every player a free agent to sign with the highest bidder? I think you can see how that wouldn't work. The strong would just stay strong and the weak would eventually fold.

Quote:
Lindros wasn't member of the union when he refused to sign with Quebec, so what does it matter?
Doesn't matter at all if he didn't want to play in the NHL.

Quote:
That's another thing I disagree with. In your mind putting himself above the NHL Entry Draft is the same as putting himself above the game of hockey. NHL = Hockey. Not so. Lindros didn't put himself above hockey, he only put himself above the business rules of one hockey league.
In NA, the NHL does = hockey. You're right though, Lindros had the right to play in any another league. But we all know he wanted to play in the NHL.

And he fully, 100%, put himself and his desires above the game of hockey - the NHL game at least.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote