Thread: Proposal: Tor - Phi
View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Whydidijoin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And Whydidijoin, with regards to Couturier, a few things need to be addressed. He was his team's best defensive forward. He spent 2:41 of ice time per game that was strictly short handed time. In terms of the regular season, Couturier spent a total of 207:41 of ice time in short handed situations, which lead all rookie forwards. The second leading forward was Adam Henrique and he had 132:06 ice time. The only rookie that played more minutes short handed than Couturier was Jared Cowan of Ottawa and he's strictly a defensive defenseman. With regards to Gardiner (who I really like and think has top 2 potential), Couturier even played more minutes than him short handed (Gardiner played 131:26).
Leading all rookie forwards in shorthanded ice time doesn't make him the team's best defensive player. Even being the best defensive rookie, which SHTOI has little relation to, doesn't make him the best defensive player on Philly.

Quote:
In terms of Power Play time, Couturier played next to no PP time. In terms of rookies, Couturier played a total of 34:32 on the power play, a whopping 26 seconds of ice time per game. As for Gardiner, he played 148:19 on the power play, which works out to 1:58 per game on the power play.
Great. Not sure how 2 minutes more of PP time is going to triple his overall production.

Quote:
In terms of total ice time, Couturier averaged 14:08 of ice time per game. Gardiner averaged 17:51 of ice time per game. When you put it all together, Gardiner only scored 3 more points than Couturier while averaging 3 minutes more ice time per game and around a minute and half more time on the power play per game. As well, with regards to forwards, only two other 19 year olds played more than Couturier - Landeskog and Nugent-Hopkins. And I think it's fair to say that they played on teams that weren't as deep as the Flyers. I'm willing to bet that if Couturier played for Edmonton or Colorado, he gets just as much ice time as those two and puts up just as good as numbers. Let's also not forget that unlike Landeskog or Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier's linemates were primarily Maxim Talbot and Zac Rinaldo. Nugent-Hopkins got to play with Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle while Landeskog got to play with O'Reilly and Milan Hedjuk and then Steve Downie.
Not sure where you got those numbers from, but I doubt Couturier puts up the same numbers as Landeskog or RNH in their situations.

I also find it funny that you badmouth Talbot, who got more points than Couturier, supposedly on the same line, even though the facts don't really support this line story.

Philly was so incredibly deep that another rookie got the 4th most TOI/game among Philly forwards, while superstar and best defensive forward was left in 10th. Hmm.

Also one thing you forgot. GARDINER IS A DEFENSEMAN.

Quote:
Linemates and ice time definitely play a big role and when you consider Couturier was given table scraps, he certainly exceeded expectations. This year in a loaded AHL, we're seeing what Couturier can really do when given the opportunity. That can't be denied.
He is not exactly tearing up the AHL, and this is a really small sample size. 2 goals and 10 points in 9 games. Hell, Gardiner has more goals than this guy with "the best wrist-shot on the team" in less games. I guess all you Philly fans should be clamoring to trade him for Sven Baertschi, right?

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote