View Single Post
Old
11-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Whydidijoin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I present facts as facts and opinions as opinions.

Here I will make this easy for even you to understand.
Fact
A fact (derived from the Latin factum, see below) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is whether it can be proven to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments.

Opinion
In casual use, the term opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. It may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.

I hope this clears this up.
o·pin·ion

noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law . the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

Grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. Not no grounds at all.

On a discussion forum, the burden for proof is only intensified. And things written as statements are taken as facts unless otherwise stated.

This wouldn't even be as much of a problem if you presented things you say as opinion, not facts or statements. Next time, try saying "My opinion is...".

I hope this clears this up.