View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Faterson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
KHL suggested [World Championships] to take place in mid-february (no WC in OG year) and rest of regular season + play off after WC. The same model as NHL season during OG (Turin, Vancouver examples). KHL wants cca 70 games of RS, play-off to finish in mid-may or later. That is idea
That would be perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
NT players who'd go to the respective NT will play a fair amount of friendlies before the WC. Staying in shape is not the problem.
I strongly disagree. You cannot remain in proper game shape by playing a bunch of non-competitive friendlies. There are, I think, no more than 8 or 10 of them, anyway. 10 friendly games in almost 3 months! That's ridiculous. In fact, I distinctly remember some Slovak national team players from the KHL in recent years complaining about the huge time gap between the end of KHL regular season and the World Championships. This season, that time gap will be larger than ever, and if Slovan fails to make the KHL play-offs, it will for the first time affect a huge portion of Slovakia's national team. (There are 8 Slovan players on Slovakia's roster for this week's international tourney in Germany.) Even if Slovan makes the KHL play-offs, the 1st round series are only "Best of 5" (which is very bad, imo), so 8 more KHL teams will probably have finished their seasons by the end of February. That's 18 out of 26 KHL teams. And then, they have practically 2 months of nothing to do until the World Championships begin in May.

To sum up, the World Championships should stop interfering with the KHL. The WCs should adapt to the KHL and other national leagues, instead of the other way around. Playing the top international event of a winter sport in February would make perfect sense.