View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 10:50 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Cricket is truly a minority sport. Most countries inc. Denmark who have produced the odd decent cricketer like Ole Mortensen would be thumped by a decent club side in England.
Cricket is not a minority sport. If it is, rhen we must assume there are only 2 sports which we cannot categorize under niche and minority.

Quote:
Rugby union is in the Olympics from 2016 and it is no longer an Empire relic either. It is the second most popular team sport across the world and the roots are growing stronger and developing fast in countries aided by Argentina like Chile, Brazil in Africa too and across Asia and indeed in Europe.
It is a slowly growing sport, but of course, but it still dwarfed by cricket financially. Clearly this is due to one nation ; India and it's "sizeable" population. This population does give cricket somewhat of an artificial inflation relative to other sports. However, the domination culturally it has in that region of the world, the capital involved and it's influence spreading is to more significant than the money and expansion undergoing in Ruby as of now.

Quote:
Given ice hockey was born here in Scotland it is a shame it hasn't developed to the extent it has given that it is a tremendous thrill ride for spectators.
Impossible to disagree with this

Quote:
The reasons have been gone over time and time again. Lack of a coherent focused approach to grow the sport with long term aims and a focused junior programme which makes the sport available to all and provides top class coaching to kids and picks out the best ones.
It's odd. Our development system for football is archaic and wasteful. Of course developments between sports do not inherantly correspond, but it is interesting. Even with publicity, prestige and vast avenues of capital, systems still rely on working efficiently in the correct areas. This gives us both hope and dejection at the same time, i feel.

Quote:
It can be done. Denmark for instance have shown it can be done. We could do it too but the leadership and desire and conflicting interests will not permit it.
I don't claim much knowledge on the history of Danish ice hockey. I cannot critique it, or understand whether the sport had an easier progression due to climate, logistical proximity and culture than we ourselves have.

Quote:
It would be great to see Team GB at the Winter Olympics in this discipline but it's going to be a long time before it happens.
Elite level World Championships, 2nd or 3rd tier at all Junior levels regularly would be a more achieveable and projectable goal.

With astute management, we definitely have long-term small growth potential. The registration totals, available ice, league standard etc is not too dissimilar to nations like Norway and Denmark. That type of growth, the ability to produce some solid European pro league players, and compete and occassionaly have solid games with some of the bigger members, is certainly plausible and in theory, feasible.

Long-term substantial growth, however, is something that seems somewhat unattainable. It's not a sport which will recieve capital investment from olympic bodies. It has no market pennetration with the critical age groups, no serious tv presence, and resides in a market utterly dominated by one sport ; a sport which continues to grow larger and larger. The EPL isn't sustainable as it is forever, but as a juggernaut enterprise, it still has more growth left in it for a good deal of time. I find it virtually impossible to believe in my life-time (and i am not an aging chair sitter) we will ever UK hockey amongst the core elite.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote