Thread: Proposal: Backlund v/s Horak
View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 11:36 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

Who's on Backlund's wing? A couple of nobodies?
He's currently on a line with Berglund and a Euro player I'm not familiar with. Not sure if he's centering the line or Berglund is.

Quote:
i'm not disagreeing with you. But if it came down to congestion at the centre position, or even at the forward position, you do what we did last year and trade your Morrison. Who would that be?
If there's centre/forward congestion, players I trade first: Stajan, Jackman, Hudler, Cammalleri.

There's no rule stating that Horak has to play in the NHL this season. If it really came down to it, he could stay in the AHL. It's not going to hurt the guy. There has never, in the time since he's been drafted, been a reason to trade Backlund, and as he appears to be breaking out offensively that has only become more clear.

I definitely wouldn't away an excellent young defensive centre with top 6 upside for a 21 year old doing well in the minors.

Quote:
I know there was a few times this year when I was getting frustrated with Backlund. He was given the top line and did nothing. He just regressed and regressed. He isn't very good at face-offs either.
Horak is godawful at faceoffs (significantly worse than Backlund).

A good note to take is that Horak is only two years younger than Backlund. Yes, two years can be a large gap developmentally, but it's not like we're comparing a well-established vet to a prospect, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
It is a pretty weak league but its nice to see him killing it.
Although I don't think anyone has direct comparisons between the NHL and Allsvenskan, some Swedish posters here indicated that it would be somewhere between AHL and SEL in terms of overall skill level. While it is a second-tier league in Sweden, it's a relegation league so there are always teams/players there who previously were playing in the SEL (now, they're generally the worst teams in the SEL in a given season, but for comparison's sake, the Blue Jackets or Oilers would regularly hand the entire AHL its own ass on a regular basis).

Last edited by SmellOfVictory: 11-05-2012 at 12:32 PM.
SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote