View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Jagr does look really really good, very quick and strong on the puck. He looks very VERY confident and he is shooting, so that means he is happy and healthy.

I would say that there is a 50/50 chance he could produce at PPG or better for Dallas. I think his skill and fitness level are good enough for a PPG, but i think he will suffer a few injuries from the physical play of the NHL. I just don't see Jagr putting up a full season, i would guess he is good for 60 games in a full season. I just have a feeling that he will be getting hit a bunch more once he re-enters the NHL.
I think he's good for more than 60 games, but would rather a completely healthy Jagr for 60 games plus playoffs, than a Jagr playing through significant injury for over half the season (like last season).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Another thing to consider, i wonder if most of Jagr's current opponents in the Czech league must see him as a national icon and are probably not defending him or playing him as physical as most players. I mean could you imagine if Gretzky was from Czech republic and he was playing in his 40's in his last years, would defenders, probably growing up idolizing him, really give their all to defend against Jagr when he is possibly one of the most important sports player born recently in the country. I really wonder if that has a part in his current success.
That's possible, but I think it's mainly that Czech league and others are much less physical in style than NHL. That's in part due to larger ice where players have more room to skate and avoid hits, and there is more ground to make up on missed hits. OTOH, I doubt anyone in Czech league wants to put an Ovechkin-like hit on Jagr and try to end his career, but then there aren't too many players with size of Jagr or Ovechkin either.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote