View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm5320 View Post
Regarding the proposed benching of Murphy, it won't happen. This is not a leauge where all players are treated the same and get the same treatment when they make mistakes. It's major junior hockey, and it's arguably the top developmental league in the world. Someone as good as Murphy is going to play big minutes all day long, as they should. Role players are going to have a shorter leash, as they do in any legitimate league. It's the same in the NHL. Dion Phaneuf can turn the puck over all he wants, he's still going to leaned on to play big minutes. If Cody Franson does the same thing, he's going to sit. That's just the reality of the game. The benefits of having a Ryan Murphy play every other shift far outweigh the consequences. For every turnover that results in a chance for the other team, there's several Rangers scoring chances created by Murphy, and that's what makes him great.
Very well said. I get that fans get frustrated when he makes a high profiled gaffe like last night. And many feel it's recurring, because it is. Anyone who handles the puck that often and for that long is bound to screw up. But what makes him vulnerable, also makes him great.

I'll glady take Ryan Murphy logging 35 minutes on my D corps and making a couple mistakes vs. not having him.