View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Mathletic's 2013 NHL Mock Draft (Q1)

Now that we're about a quarter of the way into the season I thought I'd do my first mock of

the season.

Not knowing if there's going to be an NHL season this year I went with the draft order

proposed by DropkickQuinn http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ht=draft+order

As always, take this with a grain of salt. All done in good fun.

Round 1

# 1 Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

For me, MacKinnon is the obvious n'1 pick this year. Maybe other people who have Jones at n'1 want to create some intrigue about who will go n'1 but I don't buy into it. MacKinnon is one of the younger players of the draft. He has done close to everything he could up to this point. Not only does he dominate offensively but his defensive game has improved since last year. Halifax has relied on him to kill penalties, which he didn't do last year. He's already a leader on one of the strongest and youngest team in the CHL. Down the road for Colorado he could either play the center or wing position.

# 2 Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

A bit of a surprize pick at this point. Drouin was always seen as one of the really good players coming out of the province of Québec for a few years. He has elevated his game quite a bit this year. Toronto will have to re-sign Kessel, Phaneuf and Lupul shortly. I'm guessing they'll re-sign Kessel and Phaneuf for sure. Drouin gives them some leverage in case Lupul asks for too much money. Drouin can play either the wing or center position. So, depending on what happens with Kadri, Colborne and so on, Drouin gives them a lot of possibilities to maneuver on offense. Jones would be an interesting option but taking for granted Phaneuf will comeback. With players like Rielly, Gardiner and Percy, I think Toronto is pretty much set on D.

# 3 Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara, SM-Liiga

With Getzlaf's, Perry's and Ryan's contracts to negotiate shortly, Anaheim will want to give themselves some leverage on offence. With Lindholm and Vatanen doing so well in the AHL. Add them to Fowler and Sbisa already doing well in the NHL, I think they can afford to pass on Jones at this point. With players like Etem and Palmieri coming up, Barkov could make a deadly 2nd line center.

# 4 Seth Jones, D, Portland Winerhawks, WHL

Alhtough Calgary might want to add some more offensive punch, Jones fits nicely in the Flames' depth chart. Being NHL-ready he could step in and complement Bouwmeester and Giordano quite nicely. Monahan would be my second option here but with Horak doing so well in the AHL. Jankowski doing not so badly in the NCAA, although he's still a few years away. Added to Bärtschi and Gaudreau, I think Calgary is fine on offense and goes for Jones who slips a few spots like Larsson did a couple years ago.

# 5 Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa 67's OHL

I thought about going with Pulock for Philadelphia but I'm not sure how much he fits in Philly. His lack of physical play may make some teams think twice before picking him early. Kind of the same that happened with Fowler. Monahan is a solid 2-way player who can play either the center or wing posiiton. I think he has as much potential as Pulock while being more likely to succeed.

# 6 Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL

I'm not sure what Columbus intends to do with Anisimov. At this point I see him play center behind Johansen. So, I chose to pass on Lindholm, who I see more as a playmaker, 2-way kind of guy. Columbus has done a good job adding 2-way players like Jenner and Atkinson through the draft but they desperately goal-scorers. Shinkraruk will do just that for them.

# 7 Elias Lindholm, C, Brynäs IF, Elitserien, Sweden

I thought about going with Nurse at this point but Lindohlm has too much value to pass on at this point. With Spezza still without a long-term contract Lindholm could provide a solution in case Jason goes to another team. Lindohlm can play both the center or wing position. He would also fit nicely with the group of Swedes in Ottawa.

# 8 Curtis Lazar, C, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL

Having scouted Reinhart for a couple of years, I'm sure the Islanders know everything about Lazar. Everyone who follows the Oil Kings seems to have fallen in love with this kid and his non-stop motor. Strome could move to the wing and leave the 2nd line center position for Lazar who would take one the more defensive role on the team. He could make a fantastic defensice duo with Cizikas in a few years.

# 9 Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL

At this point, it's all about value for the Canucks who haven't drafted this high in a few years. Only knock on Pulock would be his physical play, or lack thereof. Although Garrison was signed to a long-term contract and with Connauton still in the organization, Pulock is the BPA at this spot.

# 10 Adam Erne, RW, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ

I guess Pittsburgh is set on D. Best forward available at this point IMO is Adam Erne. Kid has been fantastic for the Remparts the last couple of years playing on a 2nd line. With Duclair's injury, Erne is getting more quality minutes and he's making the best of it. Although Bennett may play a similar role down the road for Pittsburgh, I still like Erne at this spot.

# 11 Jason Dickinson, LW, Guelph Storm, OHL

Up to a terrific start with Guelph. Dickinson has been one of the most improved players f this year's draft. His defensive game has picked up as well. He could play a role on Washington's 2nd line with Forsberg and Johansson in a few years.

# 12 Anthony Mantha, RW, Val d'Or Foreurs, LHJMQ

Obvious comparison for Mathan at this point would be James Neal. Kid has all the tools to make it to the next level. With Kosmachuk doing well this year, Jets keep on adding offence. Outside of Kane there's lack of offensive players for Winnipeg. Mantha will add to the mix with Scheifele.

# 13 (from New York Rangers) Hudson Fasching, RW, USA NTDP

Columbus has done a good job adding 2-way forwards in recent years. Although they may want to add a more offensive player, Fasching will play a solid, physical, 2-way game for them on the right side.

# 14 Ian McCoshen, D, Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL

Off to a terrific start in the USHL. McCoshen is already blessed with great size despite being one of the younger players of the draft. With Faul and Murphy more inclined to the offensive side of the game, McCoshen could take over for Gleason and be a defensive force for Carolina in a few years.

# 15 Max Domi, C, London Knights, OHL

I wouldn't be surprised to see Domi go much earlier in the draft, that said, if still available at this spot, he'd have terrific value. Although Florida has nice depth at the center position, Domi would be the most talented of the bunch. He may not be the most complete player but still a great scorer. He could make a great duo with Huberdeau.

Last edited by Mathletic: 11-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote