View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Under 20? OHL or NHL for you. However, if you've played a certain number of games in the NHL already, then you can play in the AHL. I believe that's why you see some under 20's in the AHL right now.

Holden is a veritable vault of knowledge on this stuff - I'm sure he'll chime in with a better explanation than mine, but that's the Cole's Notes version.
That's the jist of it right there. The CHL-NHL agreement is not in question at this point.

The CHL-NHL has made a special exemption for the lockout ONLY that any under 20 players that played all of last season in the NHL may head to the AHL this year. So just 19 year olds that played last year are applied to this as in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. He is literally the only one who qualifies for that. This is why Nail Yakupov/Ryan Murray etc had to go to junior/Europe even though 99% they would have played in the NHL, they couldn't go to AHL since they needed to play the full season in the AHL last year.

Guys like Sean Couturier, Adam Larsson, Gabriel Landeskog would be AHL eligible anyways since they turn 20 before the end of the year, even though they were 19 to start the year.

There's a bunch of 18/19 year old guys like Victor Rask, Jonas Brodin, J.T. Miller, Zemgus Girgensons, Hampus Lindholm, Mike Zibanejad, Nikolai Prokhorkin in the league, but they all don't find themselves under the CHL-NHL agreement since none of them were drafted out of the CHL.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 11-05-2012 at 06:05 PM.