View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Because he isn't putting up a point/game?

Jones is the best player on a team that includes Rattie, Pouliot, etc. Anyone who has watched him knows he's a presence besides just putting up points.
The way I understand the game is that good forwards have a greater impact on the game than good d-men. In a sense yes it comes down a bit to points. Although the defensive part of the game is huge. In fact, I do think d-men in general play a greater role in the game. I just don't think there's that big of a gap between great, good and average d-men that there is for forwards. The very good forwards are more valuable than the very good d-men roughly speaking.

Top forwards in general are very high picks when there's a lot of solid d-men who can be had for a lot less. For example, among this group of leading forwards in the NHL

Malkin, Stamkos, Neal, Giroux, Spezza, Kessel, Crosby, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Eberle, Hossa

most were very high picks, whereas

Hamhuis, McDonagh, Mitchell, Pietrangelo, Weber, Girardi, Chara, Suter, Gorges, Boyle, Shattenkirk, White, Vlasic, Garrison

were affordable at one point in their career.

Also, the difference between the top forward and the 30th forward in the league is much greater than it is between the top and 30th d-man IMO.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't draft d-men and whatnot. It's just that, in Toronto's case for example, they already have some solid d-men coming up. Whereas their group of forward is suspect. I think they'd be better off swinging for a homerun with a kid like Barkov, Drouin or Monahan than a safe pick like Jones.

Last edited by Mathletic: 11-05-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote