View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
Different GMs often bring their own Scouts. We, the fans, aren't privy to those scouting evaluations. Many of us not in Europe, Canada or near Canada have no idea who these players are aside from people on boards like these or those magazines you abhor. I like their scouting report. It may differ from what each respective teams have ranked, but the fact a majority of us are introduced to 60 or more prospects in some type of detail or description of play. For example, I had no idea who Rakell was. I just knew of the big names. So these preview magazine do give some info on many prospects that a majority of us don't know about. Also little information like Rakell asked to play center even though he was listed as a RW and still is listed as a RW on many prospect sites, including HF.
Information is fine. It's just silly for anyone to read up on scouting reports and assume that they know anything about where a guy "should" be drafted. Or even know what a player is truly like ... I can name a whole slew of guys who were picked higher than they were "supposed" to be picked, and some of them turned out to be brilliant picks. Given that, it's kind of silly for a fan who reads some web sites and a few magazines to think he knows better than teams that spent big money actually watching those players play.