Thread: Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Blues Prospects
View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
No, I don't think "forcing" Tarasenko to play in Peoria would have endangered his relationship with the Blues at all.

In the first place, he had originally indicated that he was willing to go there if the Blues were to send him there.

In the second place, there were reports that (one of) the hangup(s) with his contract in Russia was that he wanted the option to come back to the AHL if he got "punishment" ice time from SKA's coach again this season.

In the third place, he's a professional under contract to an NHL club, so he should play where the NHL club tells him to play, don't you think?

I stand by my argument that if first-overall picks like Hall and RNH can put the needs of the organization first and accept assignment to OKC, then Tarasenko should have done the same thing and reported to Peoria. Doing so would have made him a bigger hero in St. Louis than Batman, Superman and Wolverine put together.

Tarasenko's presence in Peoria would have meant a hell of a lot more than "a *possible* few wins for our farm team," as I pointed out. It would have been a marketing bonanza for a team that could really use one; it would have brought a big international spotlight to Peoria and the Blues' organization; and it would have undoubtedly been a huge attendance boost, as well as a concessions and merchandising boost... all of which would be very good for the organization's bottom line, don't you think? Especially considering that the new Stillman ownership group is currently not making a friggin' dime off of Tarasenko, or the rest of the NHL players?

Show of hands... how many of you out there would have ponied up a hundred bucks -- or more -- for an authentic "Tarasenko 91" Peoria Rivermen jersey?

Yeah, that's what I thought. And there's lots more merchandising potential where that came from...

That's all considerably more than just "a *possible* few wins for our farm team"... and the extra wins for our farm team that would undoubtedly result from Tarasenko's presence there, would not have hurt the organization at all. Establishing Peoria as a winning franchise, and as a place where winners go to win, would be nothing but beneficial to the organization.

Players from literally around the world would have gotten the message that, if Vladimir Tarasenko was willing to play in Peoria, then Peoria and the Blues' organization must not be so bad. As it stands now, Peoria's reputation as a nothing-happening Podunk town has been reinforced by what appears, at least on the surface, to be a power play by Tarasenko to avoid having to play there.

Big picture. Look at it.

As for the rest, I believe I mentioned that I wasn't entirely certain of the rules regarding waivers, so you can take your condescension and your passive-aggressive "I was going to say something mean, but decided not to" attitude, and you know what you can do with it.
The fact he has a contract doesn't mean we should be telling him where to play now. The correct path with Tarasenko was to sit him down and ask him where he wanted to play until this situation is resolved. We handled it perfectly.

He left a hell of a lot of money on the table at SKA to sign his ELC with us. To repay that by not consulting with him and forcing him to play in a lesser League than the KHL, for a fraction of what he is currently earning at SKA... what message does that send? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that Tarasenko would have got on with the job, but it is far from the best start to his career with the organization.

The big picture is that you have a potential superstar who has clearly shown he is desperate to be pulling on the bluenote asap, you don't potentially damage that relationship by ignoring his wishes to make a few bucks in Peoria.