View Single Post
Old
11-05-2012, 10:51 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
I don't normally go about calling people out, I might present an opposing view now and again however.....some of the above is just plain wrong. He didn't lose his confidence and subsequently got traded. And Ottawa a bad fit? Like their isn't a top tier play making centre in Ottawa?

Cheechoo just plain and simple could no longer skate at an NHL level. He lost that ability due to injury. End of story. He couldn't skate, he couldn't get to the seams to score the goals that he historically scored. He wouldn't survive in Chicago with Kane as a C. What could possibly make you think he'd suddenly be a scorer again with Kane as a C when it wasn't working with either Thornton or Spezza?

Cheechoo was a great goal scorer. But at the end of the day, you still need to skate to play in the NHL and he just cannot do it at that level anymore.

You are right, Cheechoo doesn't belong in this thread. He was a decent hockey player. But he couldn't have continued as a perennial 30 goal guy.
I said he was traded and then lost his confidence; not lost his confidence and was traded.

Furthermore, Cheechoo didn't play with Spezza. Michalek took Heatley' spot. Cheechoo bounced around the second and third lines. Having Mike Fisher, Chris Kelly, or Matt Cullen as your center is not a good start to a goal-scoring season.

As far as Kane; Cheechoo would work well with Kane because Kane is a speedy skater and a capable playmaker, and they wouldn't be the primary scoring line. Thornton has never been quick, so that was a big shut-down right there. Fisher/Cullen/Kelly don't have significant offensive prowess. Cheechoo also basically received no PP time in Ottawa.

He would have to change his game a bit, but the idea would be to use him in a close-range scorer capacity; essentially replacing Brunette. The ability to get yourself to the location and the ability to place the puck are the only talents needed for the role; Brett Hull proved that.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote