View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 01:24 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Anyways... Lets not turn this into a pissing match over who has more value. There'd be a greater market for Marleau, but Luongo would provide more impact. Marleau is signed for a shorter term, but Luongo is cheaper and more likely to last longer(look at the percentage of goalies playing well into their late 30s compared to forwards).
In the top-10 goalies by save percentage, exactly one (Miikka Kiprusoff) out of the ten (Elliott, Schneider, Lundqvist, Smith, Quick, Halak, Rinne, Lehtonen, Kipper, Howard) was 35 or older (Kipper was 35). Of the top-30 forwards by points, 5 of them (Elias, Whitney, St. Louis, Iginla, Selanne) were 35+. Of top-30 forwards by points, 18 of them are 29 or older. Of the top-10 goaltenders by save percentage, 2 were 29 or older.

I think you're confusing the fact that goaltenders peak later than forwards with the idea that goaltenders keep up a high level of play to an older age than forwards do. Plenty of old goaltenders are in the league as average backups. But do you really want 37 year old Luongo as a $5.5M backup?

I don't want to get into a pissing match, you're right, but I also want to clear up that misconception.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote