View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 04:26 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
If you're so good that companies are ready to let you pick and choose before you even enter the business and the union - why not? If anything the NHL or the franchises have to be blamed for allowing it, but that's just what the situation was like: even the NHL thought Lindros > NHL rules. Why blame Lindros for taking advantage of it?
okay, maybe we should take this away from my union thing, because the NHLPA has always been about maximizing the mobility and earning potential of each individual player.

maybe a better analogy would be this: you enter a company and you're a rock star. top of your class from an ivy league MBA program, previous work experience from other prestigious firms, etc. the board wants you so bad they'll let you do whatever you want. so you show up on day one and start calling your shots. i want the corner office. screw whoever has that office, i want it, it's mine or i walk. i want the best parking spot. maybe you bang three underage interns and everyone looks the other way because, hey, you're the new hot shot. if someone has a problem with it, they have a problem with the boss.

there is such a thing as earning the right to call your shots. there is such a thing as seniority. there is such a thing as enduring what everyone else had to endure for camaraderie. absolute liberal free market capitalism doesn't care about those things; it only cares about maximizing profits, which you can do. but i think the people you work with, the people whose parking spots and corner offices you took, they care. there is a way of doing things in every workplace and organization. sure they're not sacred institutions, but respecting those ways of doing things is basic human civility. not crapping on other people just because you can or because the higher ups are willing to give you that long of a leash... well to make another far-flung analogy, we just received proof that a certain mormon didn't pay taxes for 15 years, hiding behind a non-profit organization that he contributed to as little as still legally provided for the tax exemption. legally, it was justified. morally...

which is not to say that anything lindros did was morally wrong. but it does mean he and his stereotypical toronto bay street rich guy parents were complete d-bags.

not for nothing, by the way, that lindros' first major concussion was reportedly from being punched out by one of his own teammates.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote