View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
you enter a company and you're a rock star. top of your class from an ivy league MBA program, previous work experience from other prestigious firms, etc. the board wants you so bad they'll let you do whatever you want. so you show up on day one and start calling your shots. i want the corner office. screw whoever has that office, i want it, it's mine or i walk. i want the best parking spot. maybe you bang three underage interns and everyone looks the other way because, hey, you're the new hot shot.
I don't like this analogy either. Underage interns: downright illegal, unlike anything Lindros did. Corner office & parking spot: Lindros didn't take away anything from anyone.

Quote:
there is such a thing as enduring what everyone else had to endure for camaraderie.
On the ice, yes. On the negotiation table, no. Why would you go through what unfavourable circumstances forced everyone else to go through if the same circumstances do not apply to you?

Quote:
well, the contract is only valid under the umbrella of the league. i.e., if the league is not in operation (like right now), those contracts are meaningless.
This seems to have to do with labour law and not with the structure of the NHL. Think about it: if the players are on strike their contracts remain valid even though the league is not in operation.

Quote:
so no, i don't think teams are independent companies in the sense that you say.
The NHL is not a single entity with divisions=franchises, it's a "Unincorporated Association" consisting of "Member Clubs". See NHL Constitution, page 1.

Quote:
so no, i don't think teams are independent companies in the sense that you say. that's why they're called franchises.
The teams are independent "Clubs"=companies. Each Member Club "holds a franchise from the League" (NHL Constitution, page 2), hence the term "franchises".

NHL Constitution: http://www.bizofhockey.com/docs/NHLConsitution.pdf

EDIT: Another source: "The NHL is an unincorporated association, organized as a joint venture to operate a League consisting of thirty member clubs..." ( Deputy Commissioner William Daly). Link: http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/v5/con...oyotesDaly.pdf (Page 2, under "Structure and Organization of the National Hockey League").
A joint venture, not a company.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote