View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If they get a PPG player in the AHL, then that person is likely also an NHL depth player/injury replacement. However, it's extremely unlikely that Ryan Bourque ever becomes a PPG player at the AHL level. He's an energy guy, and wasn't even a dominant offensive player in the Q. Even then, I doubt the team would be thrilled--they'd be thrilled if he became an NHL player. A spare part? I think you're satisfied with that, but far from thrilled.

To the second bold point--I think when Bourque was drafted, there was certainly the hope that he had good potential to become an NHL energy guy. He wouldn't have been taken in the third round if the organization didn't think he had legitimate potential--small guys that skate fast are a dime a dozen. The potential doesn't appear to be materializing. If, two years from now, he's still an AHL depth player, would it then be okay to label him a bust? By your definition I would think you'd have to say yes.
If he doesn't get close to .5 ppg or start to master a role this season in the AHL such as being a very good PKer and defensive forward (so as to give himself a shot at a lower line opportunity in the NHL) then I would consider him no longer a viable prospect for the Rangers.

His time in Training Camp last year showed that with his speed and tenacity he can be a factor in the NHL. He needs to stay healthy and continue to get stronger as he has a high hockey IQ.