View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I think we were real lucky to land Finn in the second round but "The Steal Of The 2012 NHL Entry Draft" is a bit too sensational for my liking. This is the kind of title that attracts mockery from rivals.
Agreed, as a "steal" implies robbery at the draft table, whereas Matt Finn was ranked as a late 1st round (20-30th) overall potential selection and he fell to 5th pick of the 2nd round #35 overall in a strong draft year.

This situation happens regularly ever single draft, where a player might jump or fall in between 10-15 spots of his final draft ranking. When a player goes roughly where he is expected to, that's more the norm than an exception as the word "steal" implies. If teams are drafted based on best player available, I'm guessing that Leafs are pleasantly surprised that Finn was available at their selection, and took him, as opposed to having him targeted there with that pick.

This wouldn't constitute "steal" at such an early stage, just months after being drafted anyways, as it will be his NHL contribution in the future that will determine the value of the selection in comparison to those drafted with him in this entry draft.

Last edited by Mess: 11-06-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote