View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Rivalries and TV deals ? I honestly thing BOS vs MTL is a bigger rivalry than TOR vs MTL. Maybe back in time it was something, but lately, both Leafs and Habs have been tanking that the rivalry got boring (Props to Leafs fans who find a way to overpopulate enemy arenas - Even the hard to find tickets to place called Centre Bell).
This might be one of those 'language barrier' moments - in English, to "tank" means to intentionally lose (generally for a better draft position, sometimes to avoid a tough playoff opponent). Neither the Leafs nor the Habs have been intentionally losing games.

I presume you meant to say that the rivalry has grown stale because neither team has had much success recently (and having not played a playoff series against one another in 34 years doesn't help), then I'd half-agree with you. The rivalry is somewhat dormant, however players and fans on both teams know just how special it is to play in a Leafs/Habs game on a Saturday night, even if the two teams are 14th/15th in the conference. But I guarantee you that the second these two teams are 1-2 in the Northeast again, and if we're ever blessed with a playoff series with these two teams again, this rivalry is going to absolutely explode