View Single Post
Old
11-06-2012, 01:13 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
Yes I had 5 concussions as a player. Not fun!! Concussions were not really monitored as they are now in the league. You just went out and played if you got your bell rung. Now we have guide lines and base testing that the medical staff has to follow before the player can resume play which is great.

I think it all starts with youth hockey. We are now teaching them to keep their heads up more, learn how to give and take a check and be aware of the danger zones and positioning.

Players are bigger and stronger now. Head shot are being monitored now closer then ever. Respect for your fellow players still needs to be addressed and is getting better.
I hope that ex-players such as yourself can get the league to do more. As I said, the NHL is run by old school hockey guys, complemented by lawyers, which is to say they have no one upstairs who can think both critically and creatively to actively prevent these injuries (as opposed to hope for a solution).

With my suggestions in place, I feel that your concussions were preventable. I hope that you stay informed on health issues and stay healthy as you age. Warm wishes, VME.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote